Jewish Radio Shows & Podcasts of Note
Internet and Podcasts
- The Beat with Benymin Bresky on Israel National Radio
- Weekly internet radio show surveying the music of Israel including klezmer, jazz, sephardic, rock and everything inbetween. New show boadcasting live every Tuesday at 5PM Israel time. Archived on the web. One hour. www.IsraelNationalRadio.com. CALL TOLL-FREE: in Israel—1-800-270-428; in US & Canada—1-800-270-4288; in England—00-800-3-700-7000; in Australia—00-11-800-3-700-7000. E-mail Benyamin Bresky.
- Bnai Brith Radio
- B'nai B'rith International is pleased to announce the launching of B'nai B'rith Radio, the first 24- hour, all-Jewish-music radio station outside of Israel. B'nai B'rith Radio broadcasts an eclectic Judaic play list including traditional Yiddish, secular Israeli, Jewish American, Instrumental, and Chasidic music. Its goal is to unite Jews around the world through music. B'nai B'rith Radio is available on the Internet at www.bnaibrithradio.org. Jewish music lovers can tune in for free, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, for the very best world Jewish music. If you like Jewish music, you'll love B'nai B'rith radio!
- Jewish Watchman Radio (JWR)
- We at JWR strive to play a variety of Jewish styles of music for all ages, we are sure that you will find something of interest as you listen. Web: www.jwradio.webs.com.E-mail Jewish Watchman Radio.
- Sponsored by Temple Shalom; a Jewish voice for the Washington, DC area. www.jwash.net. (Michael)
- The Klezmer Podcast
- Your source for Klezmer/Jewish news, interviews, and music. klezkanadapodcast.podango.com. E-mail The Klezmer Podcast. (Keith Wolzinger)
- Downloads from the Neshoma radio program: cantorial folk music and interviews. Norman Laster is based in Northern New Jersey, and his program plays on the Nachum Segal JM in the AM show. Web: neshoma18.blogspot.com. E-mail Neshoma. (Norman Lester>
- Radio Free Klezmer
- An internet-only, 24hr/day broadcast of new wave Klezmer and other jewish music. Featuring the Klezmatics, Hasidic New Wave, John Zorn's Masada, Andy Statman, New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars, and more. Point your browser to home.comcast.net/~radiofreeklezmer/ for links to the music and the current playlist. E-mail Radio Free Klezmer. (Eric Levine)
- Radio Noshmim Mizrahim
- Mizrahi music can now be found on the Internet! The Web radio station Radio Noshmim Mizrahim broadcasts 24 hours, all Israeli "Oriental" music: https://noshmim-m.net/
- Radio Shalom
- Jewish Radio station from London also simulcasts on the Internet from rarefm.co.uk/shalom.asx. (Requires Windows Media Player)
- YidishMusic is now 4 years old, broadcasting live 24/7 directly from São Paulo in Brazil. it is a fully automated radio, what allows the continue broadcasting even on Shabbos. That was made to meet the different time zones in the planet. YidishMusic WebRadio is listened in more then 60 countries these days and has an average of 15000 visitors each month, what makes us imagine that we have a great musical selection. We operate by our own, and have no sponsorship at all. And, we priviledge the new artists. Consider to take a look at our page. Guib a click, dos is www.YidishMusic.com.br
- Sound & Spirit
- Ellen Kushner hosts a weekly show, syndicated all over the United States and Europe which "[explores] the human spirit through music and ideas. Sound & Spirit blends classical, traditional and world musics with myth and history, stories and poetry, and commentary from composers, theologians and writers, to provide insight into various aspects of the human experience. Each week the program explores connections between world cultures and examines different approaches to universal questions." She has done several shows on klezmer, including one that featured material from this website (which is how we found out about the show), and often uses klez and other Jewish music examples in shows on broader themes. This is the sort of show that people who like these pages, are going to like a lot. E-mail Ellen Kushner.
- Buenos Aires
- I am Danny Saltzman, journalist and music programmer of Radio Jai, The Jewish Radio in Latin America, based in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We broadcast Jewish music including Jasidic, Klezmer, Israeli, Yiddish and Ladino, in a 24 hours, 7 days a week radio station. We start broadcast in 1992, after the first bomb attack to the Israeli Embassy in Argentina, and we still "on air". In the past years we have organized concerts for The Klezmatics, Guiora Feidman, and Aufwind in Argentina and also in Chile. We have put now our Radio on line in the www.radiojai.com.ar. E-mail Radio Jai. (Danny Saltzman)
- British Columbia
- Vancouver: "My name's Ethan Minovitz. Alan Tapper and I co-host Anthology of Jewish Music on CFRO-FM 102.7 (Vancouver Cooperative Radio). The program is on every Sunday from 10 to 11 a.m." Telephone messages for Anthology of Jewish Music can be left at CFRO's phone number, (604) 684-8494. Web: www.coopradio.org. E-mail Ethan Minovitz.
- Vancouver: Out here in Vancouver BC we've started a late-night alt-accordion show with stuff from all over, including of course Klezmer, especially it's more punk-rock varieties, whatever that means. If anyone has sounds we should share, we'd be happy to look, or if you've sent stuff to the Anthology show, tell us and we'll borrow from them. "Overthrowing old prejudices about the accordion—and replacing them with new ones." Accordion Noir, Friday 2-3 AM (Podcasts to come.) CFRO: Co-Op Radio 102.7 FM, 110 - 360 Columbia St., Vancouver, BC V6A 4J1. Web: www.myspace.com/accordionnoir. E-mail Accordion Noir. (Bruce Triggs, Accordion Noir crime reporter)
- Vancouver: Tune in to an ecclectic weekly radio show—Kol Nodedi-Nomadic Voice on CiTR 101.9 FM in Vancouver B.C. out of The University of British Columbia, a World/Jewish Radio Show created and hosted by Danya David. "World Music of beautiful arresting beats and voices emanating from all continents and corners. Seldom-rattled pocketfuls of roots and gems, recalling other times and other places, to vast crossroads en route to the unknown and the un-claimable. Features world music with Jewish/Israeli, Middle Eastern, Balkan, Gypsy, and Latin slant. Ancient melodies to remixed electronica and fusion. Always crossing borders, always transporting." Listeners can listen on air, or, alternately, outside of CiTR radio waves range, you can listen to the show via internet livestreaming. Go to www.citr.ca and click on "Livestreaming". The show airs Sunday morning, 11am to 12 noon. E-mail Danya David. (Danya David)
- Kingston: Radio613 is a collective and radio broadcast dedicated to
Jewish politics, culture, and religious life.We broadcast
from the 613-area code in Kingston. Diasporic tones find
auditory homes through featured interviews, music, readings,
discussion, and documentaries. Each week radio613 presents
Jewish perspectives on religious/spiritual thought and
practice, race and racism, gender and feminisms,
anti-semitism, colonialism and resistance...and more!
Tune-in on Wednesdays from 5-6pm on CFRC 101.9fm in Kingston
(www.cfrc.ca). "Semitic Soul" is the musical branch of the radio613
collective. DJ Grenadier presents a weekly set of
Klezmer/Roma/Balkan/Arab dance and soul music. Tune in on
Thursdays from 10-11pm on CFRC 101.9fm in Kingston(www.cfrc.ca). Podcasts of radio613 and Semitic Soul can be found at
radio613.wordpress.com and (soon!) on iTunes. E-mail Radio613. (Avi Grenadier)
- Ottawa: "I host a 'world music' radio show on CKCU-FM in Ottawa, Canada which has Klezmer music as one of its mainstays. The full details are: Dave Dalle's show, Thursday's 1-4 p.m., CKCU 93.1 FM. I now have a website with playlists, details etc. at: www.dalle.ca/david. More interestingly, you can now hear my show anywhere with Realaudio through the web at: www.ckcufm.com/listenlive.html. E-mail David Dalle.
- Toronto area: Monday - Friday, 10:00am - 11:00am. CHIN Stereo FM Radio 100.7 (Broadcasting from Toronto, Ontario) "SHALOM with Zelda Young". Sunday, 8:30am - 10:00am, simulcast on FM101.3 and AM1540. "SHALOM with Zelda Young". Broadcast Station: 622 College St. Toronto, Ontario, Telephone: (416) 531-9991. Fax: (416) 531-5274. Web: www.zeldayoung.com E-mail Zelda Young. (Zelda Young)
- Montreal: "Jewish Digest" is a weekly half hour program broadcast on Radio Centre-ville, 102.3FM in Montreal Saturday mornings at 8:30. RCV is a multi-ethnic community station broadcasting in seven languages. English programming starts Friday evening and continues until Saturday afternoon. Jewish Digest features interviews and a variety of Jewish music, Sephardic, Mizrachi, Klezmer,everything from soup to nosh. Web: www.radiocentreville.com. E-mail Leslie Lutsky. (Leslie Lutsky)
- Montreal: "Radio Shalom" broadcasts Jewish music 24/7 at 1650AM. Hélène Engel alternates two weekly 30-minute weekly radio show on Radio Shalom, alternating on tuesdays at 8PM (east time). (1) "Les faces cachées de la musique juive:" Dedicated to new jewish music from Montreal, Canada, North America… and the rest of the world. I listen to the CDs that are sent to me and present it with my opinion about the music and bio and chronological events when appropriate as well as references to buy the CD. (2) "La discothèque idéale de l'amateur éclairé de musique juive." In this show I take the CDs that seem to me the most important if you want to build for yourself a Jewish library of music. I give a briel presentation of the artist and why it is very important and then I put the music with minimal interventions, just to say the titles of the music pieces that I play. You are welcome to visit the site where you can listen online at www.radio-shalom.ca, and if you follow the link to Programs, you'll see the button that takes you to the page for my show where past programs are gradually being archived. At the present time I'm only presenting my show in French, but I expect to also provide an English program eventually. E-mail Hélène Engel. (Hélène Engel)
- Also on Radio Shalom, "Art & Fine Living with Jona" is a weekly radio program about classical arts, culture and upscale lifestyle trends, with a delightful mix of interviews, classical and jazz releases and educational series. Recent highlights include conversations with Israeli composer Ofer Ben-Amots; Cellist/conductor Yuli Turovsky; violinist James Ehnes; conductor Yannick Nezet-Seguin; Jazz artist Bill Prouten and choregrapher Ohad Naharin. Recent interviews with violinist Jonathan Crow; opera vocalists Denis Sedov and Manon Feubel; film director Mike Newell and theatre director Daniel Brooks can be accessed and downloaded from Jona's page on the radio's website. The first segment in the Opera Moments series with Opera de Montreal Pierre Vachon can also be accessed from recent archives. "Art & Fine Living with Jona" can be heard live on Radio Shalom CJRS 1650 AM on Sundays at 7pm and on Wednesdays at 3pm. Livestream on the radio website at: www.radio-shalom.ca, and archived on the show's page. E-mail Jona Rapoport. (Jona Rapoport)
- Montreal: "Shtetl on the shortwave", hosted by Tamara Kramer, has been on since 2007. It's independent radio with a Jewish twist. Occasionally irreverent but always polite! You'll hear Jewish music new and old plus interviews with Jews of all stripes, interests, vocations and colours. "Shtetl" is on the 1st and 3rd Friday of every month from 11am to noon on CKUT 90.3 FM. Whether you're Jewish or not, "Shtetl on the Shortwave" is your home for Yiddishkeit with an edge! Tel: (514)982-4595. Web: www.shtetlmontreal.com . E-mail Shtetl on the Shortwave. (Tamara Kramer)
- Winnipeg Jewish Radio Hour. There is Jewish radio programming in Winnipeg every Sunday on radio station CKJS, 810AM, from 1.30 to 2.30 PM Central time. It can be heard online at www.ckjs.com. The first half hour is in English. It is hosted by Matthew Leibl. The second half is in Yiddish and is hosted by Rochelle Zucker and Osher and Zevi Kraut. E-mail Rochelle Zucker. (Rochelle Zucker)
- I'm Tal from the Reggae Power 106 Fm Radio Eshel Israel (Reggae Power, Koach Reggae in Hebrew, is one of the two regular reggae radio shows in Israel). It is on the air since 1998, and since the end of 1999 also broadcasted live on internet. International as well as Israeli reggae tracks for the show are carefully selected and often there are special issue shows for jewish holidays, remembrances, tributes, etc. Broadcast: Sunday 20:00 till 22:00 Israeli Time (GMT-1). Web: www.irielion.com/israel/reggae_power.htm. E-mail Dr. Reggae. (Dr. Reggae)
- Milan: The Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music has a radio show (the only Jewish radio program in Italy). Radio Popolare Milano, FM 101.5 or 107.6. E-mail YUVAL Italia. (Francesco Spagnolo)
- Madrid: We often play klezmer, in fact we are sure we are the radio show that plays more klezmer in Spain and Portugal. We even have a klezmer song, "Klezmer a la Bechet," by David Krakauer, for a special section of our show. Nowadays Mapamundi is broadcasted in Radio Círculo, 100.4 fm (Tuesday, 14:00 - 15:00 h) and Radio ELA, 102.5 fm (3 hours, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 17:00 - 18:00), RTFB Belgium (for frequency, check the website)as of August 2008 it will be broadcast in Mexico too (Guanajuato University Radio, also at the medium wave, they are still deciding the schedule), and we upload each edition in our podcasts, available from our website during a month each one. You can listen to our special report about klezmer history, even from the destruction of the 2nd Temple (hehe) to nowadays.. Web: www.mundimapa.com. E-mail Mapamundi Radio. (Araceli Tzigane & Juan Antonio Vázquez)
- London: The "SomethingJewish" Show features the best Jewish performers around and showcases new and unsigned Jewish talent. With a diverse Jewish playlist featuring Jewish artists, artists who have a Jewish connection or artists that are inspired by Jewish influences, the SomethingJewish show covers everything from Jewish rap to Klezmer. Listen in London every sunday between 3.30pm and 4.30pm on 104.4fm. Web: www.somethingjewish.co.uk. E-mail Something Jewish. (Leslie Bunder )
- London: The regular Jazz Jews show airs on UK Jazz Radio, a great internet station with a fast-growing global audience. There's info about me and my book on www.jazzjews.com, also keep an eye on the UK Jazz Radio website at www.ukjazzradio.com. My radio show features Jewish jazz, Israeli jazz, rootsy Jewish music such as klezmer, also the Jewish contribution to Great American Songbook jazz standards. I also do interviews, cover gigs, and feature special documentary shows. You can tune in via the website, or on an wifi internet radio. Web: www.jazzjews.com. E-mail Mike Gerber
- Berkeley: Oy Mendele! is a talk and music show covering current happenings in Jewish culture, religion, and politics, trying to embrace a broad spectrum of the Jewish experience. Our audio archives, and information about upcoming shows, are at www.jewishmediaconspiracy.com.com. You can subscribe to our podcast from iTunes, or listen (and subscribe) directly from the website. We have lots of past material and are always looking to expand our programming, and return to the broadcast airwaves. If you'd like to collaborate on that, suggest a show topic, or have any other questions or comments, please e-mail Eric Fixler. (Eric Fixler)
- Middletown: N'Shoma is heard every Sunday morning from 11 a.m. until noon on WMRD-AM 1150 (based in Middletown, CT) and simulcast on WLIS-AM 1420 in Old Saybrook, CT. The program is an eclectic blend of contemporary Klezmer & Jewish music with older material and a new emphasis on original Jewish music. I air specials during many holidays plus have done Holocaust Memorial programming. I have interviewed (on air) Mark Slobin of Wesleyan University, David Chevan (bassist, composer, educator), Frank London, Cookie Segelstein (Veretski Pass), Ted Reichmann, and many others. I read listings of activities from local synagogues and organizations. The show has been on since November 1996. E-mail Richard B. Kamins. (Richard B. Kamins)
- Ft. Lauderdale: Shalom South Florida—Since 1986, Jewish radio host, RONI, has been playing the best of today's Jewish music with a taste of the past. "Shalom South Florida" is heard live every Sunday morning, from 9:00-10:00 AM, throughout South Florida on WLVJ (1040-AM). Web: www.shalomsouthflorida.com. E-mail Shalom South Florida. (Roni)
- Tampa: The Sunday Simcha runs the gamut in Jewish entertainment and information: music, local announcements, weekly Dvar Torah, interviews, and the occasional political rant. The audience has grown over the years and includes many non-Jews as well. The music is an eclectic mix, including Klezmer, Chassidic, Israeli, Yiddish, Ladino, Mizrachi, and contemporary. The Sunday Simcha is heard every Sunday in the Tampa Bay area and beyond on WMNF - 88.5 FM from 12-2 PM. The Simcha can be heard live on the internet at www.wmnf.org, and the website also keeps a year of archived programs and playlists (just in case you missed a show!). There is more info on the myspace page: www.myspace.com/sundaysimcha. The show is hosted by Kevin Frye and Marc Rosenwasser. Kevin and Marc took the helm of the show after their friend Mike Eisenstadt, the show s host for 20 years, passed away in October 2005. E-mail Kevin Frye. (Kevin Frye)
- Carbondale, IL: "Cyril's Cabaret," hosted by Cyril Robinson, features Jewish music, interviews and commentary. The show broadcasts over a WDBX, a community radio station, 9l.1 FM, 9:30-10:AM Wednesdays. Radio Station, WDBX, 224 N. Washington St, Carbondale, IL, 62901. Tel: 618-529-5900. www.wdbx.org.
- Portland: Gail Wartell is the host of "Sunday Simcha," a fifteen-year-old Jewish music program airing every Sunday morning from 6:30 to 8:30 am on WMPG, Greater Portland Community Radio, 90.9 and 104.1 FM, also streaming live at www.wmpg.org. The program features an eclectic blend of Jewish music from across the diaspora, including traditional, sacred, Sephardic, Eastern European, folk, rock, and "cutting edge" jazz and klezmer. We also provide news and announcements for the Maine Jewish community and occasionally mix in a dose of Jewish humor. We can be reached at WMPG-FM, 96 Falmouth Street, Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104-9300, tel: (207) 780-4943.
- The Berkshires: "The Klezmer Hour," hosted by music critic Seth Rogovoy and originating from Williams College radio station WCFM (91.9 FM) in Williamstown, Mass., will be broadcast in real time on the Internet, Mondays from 9 to 10pm Eastern time. The weekly, hourlong program features a broad range of traditional Klezmer, neo-Klezmer and non-Klezmer-based New Jewish Music. If you are unable to listen to the show locally, go to the following URL on Tuesdays a few minutes before 9pm Eastern Time and click on the word "Receive" if you already have Real Audio. If you don't, there are instructions on this page about how to get it. https://wso.williams.edu/orgs/WCFM/realaudio.html. Please note that "The Klezmer Hour" will be subject to the vagaries of college radio scheduling, meaning it will only be broadcast while school is in session.
- Boston: Chagigah, WERS 88.9 FM. Sundays 8-11 AM. Also streaming on the web at www.wers.org/listen/ Tune in and celebrate! Chagigah brings you the best in Jewish and Israeli culture. A show that transcends any language barrier, Chagigah embraces classic Yiddish and klezmer music dating from 1914 to today. The music style becomes more contemporary as the show moves into traditional Israeli folk and the latest in Israeli rock. It's worth waking up for! Emerson College :: 120 Boylston Street :: Boston, MA 02116. 617.824.8891. www.wers.org/chagigah/.
- Boston: Mark David does Boston's "The Yiddish Voice" Radio Show, WUNR 1600 AM/Brookline - Wednesdays 7:30-8:30 p.m. A weekly, hour-long Yiddish-language radio show serving Boston's Yiddish-speaking community since July 1994. Mailing Address: Yiddish Voice c/o WUNR, 160 N. Washington St., Boston, MA 02114. There is a "Yiddish Voice" web page, as well, with links to pages of Yiddish interest around the Internet. E-mail The Yiddish Voice.
- Worcester: WCUW, 91.3 FM in Worcester MA, has a Jewish music program every Sunday night from 8-10 called Shirim. The show features Jewish music and comedy and includes live interviews and nformation on events in the Jewish community. It is hosted by Mitch Gordon or Phyllis Werlin. The show is also streamed from www.wcuw.org. For more information, check out the current program schedule on the station website. E-mail Phyllis Werlin.
- Columbia: On KOPN-FM 89.5, streaming at www.kopn.org. Hosted by Carol Greenspan. Carol writes: "it is crucial that we share the beauty of our multifaceted culture for both ourselves and others. In the modern assimilated world, it is easy to lose sight of how extraordinary and broad our culture is and has been." Write: KOPN/Box 19, 915 E. Broadway, Columbia, MO, USA. E-mail Carol Greenspan.
- New Jersey
- Sunday Simcha is a one hour Sunday program of Jewish talk and music, at 10am each Sunday--with at leat 12 minutes on what I call Comedy Corner. And, of course, commemeration via music and spoken word of the various holidays and special events. WFDU 89.1 FM Teaneck New Jersey We stream on the web. Web: www.wfdu.fm. Web: www.billhahnprogramnotes.blogspot.com. E-mail Sunday Simcha Teaneck. (Bill Hahn)
- New York
- My radio segment "Muzikalishe nayes" appears on he "Forverts-sho" every Saturday night, 8-9pm, WMCA AM in NYC, 570 AM. It features the latest in Jewish music or on selected themes. E-mail Muzikalishe nayes. (Itzik Gottesman)
- Lorin Sklamberg, of the Klezmatics and Living Traditions, hosts a music segment on WBAI's show, "Beyond the Pale, Sundays, 11-noon, 99.5FM. This can also be heard on RealAudio simulcast from www.wbai.org.
- WSIA, 88.9FM, Staten Island, NY, is broadcasting live on the internet, www.wsia.fm.
You can tune in to our live shows:
The Kol Isha Show with the Rockin' Rebbetzin Michele Garner
every Friday morning 8-10am e.s.t. and
The Happy Chevra Show with Rabbi Eliezer Garner every Sunday
from 11 am-1 pm. Contact: WSIA Rockin' Rebbetzin Michele Garner,
2800 Victory Blvd.,
Staten Island NY 10314. E-mail: OrPnimi@aol.com
- Cleveland: Jewish Community Radio is a weekly radio show featuring Klezmer, Hasidic music, news and interviews. Sundays 7:00AM–8:00AM hosted by Tzvi Turner. Fridays 12:30–1:00PM hosted by Fred Taub. Broadcast on 88.7FM WJCU in Cleveland, Ohio and on the internet at JewishCommunityRadio.org. E-mail Tzvi Turner. (Tzvi Turner).
- Cleveland: Shalom America has been on the air for over 38 years in Cleveland, Ohio and is now entertaining its 4th generation of families. Heard Sundays from 7-9 AM on WELW 1330 AM in Cleveland. Program is hosted in English with news from Israel, Chassidic, Hebrew, Yiddish, Klezmer, Cantorial and Ladino music, call-in contests and more. Contact email@example.com
- Oberlin: Sara Marcus is the DJ, "Diaspora Studies: Jewish fusion and klezmer music" Sundays, 11 AM - 1 PM on WOBC * 91.5 FM * Commercial-free radio in Oberlin, Ohio
- Portland: Ed Kraus, Liz Schwartz, and Barry Lavine host the Portland Yiddish Hour (on the air since 1979), heard Sunday mornings, 10am Pacific Coast Time, on KBOO, 90.7 FM, Portland, Oregon. The Portland Yiddish Hour features Jewish music and culture including Klezmer, Yiddish, Israeli, Ladino, and other musical styles. We also have interviews posted on our website at kboo.fm/portlandyiddishhour. E-mail Portland Yiddish Hour.
- WNWR AM 1540 in Philadelphia broadcasts Jewish programs seven days a week. The Barry Reisman Show is the station's featured program, and is on the air Monday - Friday from 3:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M. and Sundays from 6:00 P.M. - 7:00 P.M. Reisman's blend of klezmer, Yiddish, and Israeli music along with interviews and listener phone calls have made his program a fixture in the Philadelphia radio market since 1965. Listen to live or archived programs, via radio or internet, at www.wnwr.com/jewishindex.html. E-mail: Radiobarry@aol.com, (Barry Reisman).
If you have a klez story to tell, comments, reviews to add, or just want to let people know about your band, or have something else to say that I haven't already mentioned (and especially about bad links or other mistakes)--send me e-mail, or use the new feedback form. I'll get it all online as I have time. It's a pleasure!